The IEEE sets the standard for, well, standards. According to the IEEE they publish about 30 percent of the world’s literature in the electrical and electronics engineering and computer science fields and have a portfolio of nearly 1,300 standards and projects under development.
Some of the IEEE standards I have worked with over the years include:
- IEEE 802.3 — Ethernet networks
- IEEE 802.11 — Wireless networks
- IEEE 1394 — Serial bus known as “FireWire” and “i.LINK”
- IEEE 488 — Standard Digital Interface for Programmable Instrumentation, formerly known as GPIB and before that as HPIB.
- IEEE 1284 — Parellel port